Meet The Team
Ray was the Principal of Minsthorpe Community College and Chief Accounting Officer for the Yorkshire Three Counties Alliance SCITT from 2014 to 2019. Minsthorpe is a large comprehensive of 1600 students serving a heavily disadvantaged former mining community.
- Ray was the Enterprise and Work-related Learning Lead at Hinchingbrooke School from 1991 to 2004 before moving on to Deputy Headship;
- Whilst Deputy Head at Batley Girls’ High School from 2005 to 2013 Ray also had a two-year secondment to the ssat where he was the National Co-ordinator for Applied Learning. At the end of this period he was appointed to his first headship position at Minsthorpe Community College;
- Ray has been the Principal of Minsthorpe Community, the hub school for the YTCA SCITT, since 2014. In this time, he has also been appointed to the Steering Group of the National Collaborative Outreach Group for the Go Higher West Yorkshire project and also sits on the National Head Teacher Board for the Careers & Enterprise Company in which he acts as the representative for the Leeds City Region Local Enterprise Partnership. Ray also represented Wakefield Secondary Head Teachers on the Local Authority’s Schools Forum and was one of the members of the YTCA SCITT’s Partnership Board;
- When he joined the school, Minsthorpe was judged to requiring improvement by Ofsted. Ray successfully led the school to a further two Good judgements in his tenure as Principal;
- Ray is one of the new breed of so-called “Headtrepreneurs” and throughout his long career has accessed millions of pounds in funding that has been used for educational purposes in the schools in which he has worked. He is very experienced when it comes to bid writing and secured over £5m in extra funding for Minsthorpe since 2014 from organisations such as the National Lottery, the EEF, the CIF Fund and NCOP.
- Since retiring as Principal in April 2019, Ray has taken up the role of Strategic Lead for the Encompass Careers Alliance. With the support of other heads in the West Yorkshire region he is working to build an alliance of schools who will place high quality, one-to-one careers education and guidance at the heart of the educational experience that their students experience.
Personal Guidance Programme Facilitator
I have almost 30 years administration experience with the last 18 years spent in a secondary school setting. My responsibilities included the coordination and implementation of work experience & the careers education and guidance curriculum and the successful transition of students from Yr11 to a positive destination – ie FE/apprenticeships.
I firmly believe that careers education and guidance is vital in helping students to make the decisions that are right for them, enabling them to achieve their goals and aspirations. This project will provide much needed solid support and top quality careers guidance to many more students.
Personal Guidance Professionals
I have eleven years’ experience as a Careers Advisor working in education with young people age 11- 19. I am passionate about all young people having access and receiving impartial and quality careers advice and guidance; exploring the current labour market and careers options can often open up new and exciting ideas and opportunities to help young people engage and discover positive opportunities about their future.
Success to individuals can look very different and celebrating every young person’s achievements is vitally important to me.
I am really excited to be working on this new project to help develop quality careers guidance to a wider area and reach out to more young people.
Welcome to my profile and what a joy it is to inform you very briefly about my history. I have worked in education for the past ten years working for City & Guilds, Colleges and private providers enhancing my knowledge of Apprenticeships to managing the performance of others delivering in educational skills, also dealing with funding aspects of Apprenticeships. I have now taken on a new role and challenge developing my skills working with schools and colleges in careers advice & guidance to enhance and assist our future workforce.
After completing my Postgraduate Diploma in Careers Guidance at Huddersfield University I have 19 years’ experience as a Careers Adviser. For just over 13 years I was employed by Connexions Northamptonshire (formerly known as careerpath). My role involved working with both groups and individual young people, predominantly aged 13-19 within educational institutions, as well as having a NEET caseload during the summer months. I worked closely with parents and carers attending interviews, reviews and parents’ evenings. I was also a member of the Young Enterprise Area Board as well as mentoring a team of young people.
The latest 6 years I have been employed in Further Education (both establishments also had/ve Higher Education provision), offering information, advice and guidance to both students and non-students of all ages.
At my previous College I worked in a small team who set up and ran the Job Shop. A new service aiming to increase the employability of students upon completion of their course. I have mentored several NVQ trainee careers Advisers.